How to Sell on Jumia & earn over 21% commission
Jumia is the most popular ecommerce website in Nigeria which most people think all the products listed on the site are originally owned and sold by Jumia. But that’s not true, the products on Jumia are listed by vendors.
I’m not sure if Jumia even owns one product on their website, as vendors are the ones who sell the products, while the work of Jumia is just to fulfill the order. That is, you too can become a seller on Jumia, as you can make a lot of money without much stress.
I believe learning about that will make you want to know how to sell on Jumia. That’s why we’ve curated this post to show you an exact step-by-step guide to start selling on Jumia.
You’ll get to know the terms and conditions associated with selling on Jumia, how to make the most money, and also how to make your product always show up on Jumia to maximize your sale, as well as the fastest selling products to make the most profits.
Are you ready to know all that? Let’s get started then!
What is Jumia?
Jumia is an ecommerce website that allows people to buy different kinds of products online and have them delivered to them either at a delivery station or home. The company offers its service across many African countries including Nigeria, South Africa, Egypt, Algeria, Morocco, etc.
The platform is popularly known by buyers, you can also become a seller on Jumia. You can list your products, get sales, and make money without having to deliver the products yourself.
Why Sell on Jumia
Jumia is just like Amazon. It offers a lot of benefits to sellers including…
Reach Wider Audience
A lot of sellers on Jumia are people who have physical shops. If you already have products you’re selling offline, with over 7 million monthly users (in Nigeria alone) Jumia offers a great platform for you to go online and reach a wider audience, thereby building brand awareness.
In line with reaching a wider audience, you can also increase the sale of your products, and rapidly skyrocket the growth of your business at large selling on Jumia.
It is Free
Another benefit of Jumia to sellers is that it is free to sign up as a seller and list your products for sale. That simply means no upfront investment whatsoever is required.
Work from Home
Jumia doesn’t only benefit people with shops and products already. You can become a seller on Jumia if you have a product to sell. You can list your product on the platform and sell them right from the comfort of your home.
Jumia is also a good place to engage in dropshipping and mini importation. That is you can become a seller on Jumia without having to see or touch the products, all you need is a smartphone.
How Do You Make Money Selling on Jumia?
Sellers or Vendors make money on Jumia when someone (buyers) orders and pays for their products. However, a certain percentage is charged by Jumia from every sale.
Keep in mind that no money is charged upfront while registering and listing your products on Jumia. That means you’ll only be charged whenever you make a sale, although the commissions vary based on product categories.
Below is a screenshot of the commission paid by Jumia sellers for every successful sale.
How to Sell on Jumia 2023
1. Visit the Jumia Vendors Page
First of all, to start selling on Jumia, you need to visit the Jumia vendor page, read all the terms and conditions, then proceed to sign up if you’re satisfied.
2. Complete the Registration Process
On the sign-up page, you’ll be asked to enter some personal information including your email address, company name, phone number, bank account details, residential address, and so on. Ensure that you enter the correct information, and cross-check it one more time before submitting.
After that, you’ll be sent an email containing the Jumia Seller Center Access Code. Copy the code, visit the Jumia Seller Center page, and use the access code to sign into your account. Once this is done, your account is fully activated and ready to sell products.
3. Go Through the Dedicated New Seller Training
After registration, as a new seller, you’ll be prompted to take the dedicated training. This training is done online (YouTube) and offline. The purpose of the training is to help you become a better online vendor and an expert in eCommerce.
4. List Your Products
After the training, the next thing is to become a seller on Jumia. Now, upload at least 5 products you’ll like to sell. This process can be carried out through your seller center dashboard.
5. Optimize Your Listings
While listing your product, to get the best result you must practice a little SEO (search engine optimization). On Jumia, people go and search for specific products they want to buy, e.g “iPhone 14”.
If you want your products to show whenever the search phrase is entered on Jumia, you’ll need to optimize your listing. This can be achieved by following the guide below.
- Optimize your Title: Make sure the title of your product is a search phrase. For example, a White apple wristwatch.
- Optimize your description: Make that the product name appears multiple times in the product description.
- Optimize product image: Make sure you take a clear and quality image of the products you’re selling and ensure they are in the recommended size by Jumia.
Once all these are done one by one, you’re more likely to get sales in no time as a complete beginner.6. Promote Your Products
Although Jumia has a lot of people coming directly to their website to buy products, and to quickly see results, it is better to drive traffic to your website using third-party platforms.
You can do this in two ways, either free or paid. The free method involves using social media platforms like Facebook, TikTok, Instagram, WhatsApp, and Twitter to market your products for free.
You can also make use of social media for the paid method, it requires a little investment, although the result is quick and is more likely to drive sales than the free method. This paid method can be done by simply running ads on various social media platforms.
Another paid method of promoting your products is to use the Jumia advertisement. This converts like crazy. If you opt in for this service, your products will be featured on Jumia whenever a buyer searches for related products.
All these marketing methods work well and are ideal for those that want to see quick results selling on Jumia.
7. Understand Order Fulfillment Methods
Once you start driving sales, the next thing is to deliver the products to buyers. After getting an order, you have 24 hours to get the product ready to ship. Since sales will be coming in from different locations, you may be wondering how to fulfill the order.
However, Jumia has made it easy for sellers to package and get products delivered to customers by offering two flexible methods which include the use of…
Jumia VDO Station
Using this method, you’ll be responsible for storing and packaging the product for shipment. Then you’ll carry the package to the nearest Jumia VDO station, and they’ll complete the process by making sure the product is delivered to the buyer.
Jumia Express Delivery
Using express delivery means that Jumia will be responsible for everything from storing, packaging, and delivery of the product to buyers. With this method upon listing your products on Jumia, you’ll have to deliver them to Jumia VDO where they will be until you get orders for them. Once you get an order the products will be packaged by Jumia and quickly ship it to buyers.
Things to Know About Selling on Jumia
There are some terms and conditions laid down by Jumia for sellers, and as a beginner, you need to know and abide by them to sell on the platform. They include.
- Seller must be at least 18 years of age or selling under the supervision of a guardian or parent.
- Your listing will be reviewed for approval. Therefore, it is a must to maintain business transparency and upload high-quality products.
- Sellers must maintain price parity for your products. This means your product price must be certain across all platforms they are listed. You shouldn’t sell a product at a lower price on another platform and higher on Jumia.
- You must complete the registration process and obtain a Tax Identification Number (TIN).
- For promotional purposes, you should grant Jumia access to your products, branding materials, and trademarks.
- Make sure your products are never out of stock. When it does, be sure to remove such products from your listings.
- Maintain a Ready-to-Ship policy within 24 hours.
What You Can Sell on Jumia
Just like every other ecommerce website, there are guidelines for the types of products that can be sold by vendors. On Jumia products you can sell include.
- Phone & Tablets (mobile phones, tablets, and accessories)
- Home & Office (cookware, appliances, furniture, bedding, etc.)
- Electronics (television, cameras, sound systems, etc.)
- Computing (laptops, printers, scanners, software, networking services, etc.)
- Fashion Items (clothing, jewelry, watches, etc.)
- Health & Beauty (haircare, fragrances, makeup, etc.)
- Automobile Products (car & motorcycle accessories, safety equipment, etc.)
- Grocery (laundry, cooking, toiletries, beverages, etc.)
- Baby Items (toys, apparel, diapering, etc.)
- Sports Items (sport & fitness, cycling, camping, etc.)
- Gaming Products (play station, video games, etc.)
- Other Categories ( livestock, musicals, gardening, movies, etc.)
What You Cannot Sell on Jumia
Jumia also prohibits listing some products on its websites in order to ensure a good user experience. Products you cannot sell on Jumia include.
- Stolen or counterfeit products.
- Products that counterfeit financial instruments. E.g Currency, valid invoices from any country, fake money, etc.
- Illegal substances and products sold to produce, modify or consume illegal substances. E.g Drugs, medicines, steroids, etc.
- Every financial instrument disapproved by applicable financial controlling authorities.
- Plants and animals threatened by extinction. E.g Fur, organs, part of animals.
- Explosive materials.
- Flammable materials.
- Articles considered as being part of the historic patrimony.
- Every article related to hacking.
- Weapons and items related to ammunition, bullets.
- Fake documents such as fake IDS, fake birth certificates, driving licenses, etc.
- Items related to pedophilia, pornography, and naked children.
- Every item which contravenes to intellectual property.
If you attempt to sell all these prohibited products on Jumia, the product will not be approved, and this may even lead to Jumia deactivating your seller account permanently.
Selling on Jumia 2023 – FAQs
How much does it cost to sell on Jumia Nigeria?
What are the requirements to sell on Jumia?
To start selling on Jumia, you’re required to register as a vendor using your phone number, email address, and bank details.
Is selling on Jumia profitable?
Yes, selling Jumia is very profitable as the platform helps you reach more audiences, which increases your sales if you already have a shop offline.
Is selling on Jumia free?
No upfront investment is required to start selling on Jumia. However, a commission of a certain percentage is charged on every sale you make.
What sells most on Jumia?
Phones and electronics are the types of products that sell the most on Jumia.
How long does it take for Jumia to pay sellers?
Jumia usually pays out sellers money 8 days after delivering the product to the buyers.
If you’re looking to venture into e-commerce to make money online in Nigeria and some other African countries, Jumia has offered a great platform for you to start with as a beginner. If you’re looking to get started right away, I believe this post on how to sell on Jumia in 2023 has all that you need!